Autism Statistics: What is going on here?
80% of today’s Autism population is under 18.
In the 1980’s the autism rate was estimated to be 3 in 10,000.
In the 1990’s, the rate increased by ten times.
In 2004, the autism epidemic rate was revised to be 1 in 200.
In 2011, the autism epidemic rate was revised to be 1 in 88 nationally and as much as 1 in 77 in Oregon!
The Center For Disease Control has announced that autism is the fastest growing developmental disability in the United States. These alarming statistics should serve as a call to action for parents and professionals to take action against this public health crisis. If your child has recently received a diagnosis on the Autism spectrum, check out the Autism Action Plan.
Dr. Chapman treats children with Autism, Asperger syndrome, Pervasive developmental Disorder, sensory integration/ processing disorder and ADHD with a comprehensive treatment approach. Dr. Chapman practices in Portland,Oregon.
Favorite Autism Web Links
- Autism After 16
- Autism Research Institute
- Autism Research and Resources of Oregon
- Autism Society of Oregon
- Cool web links from from AZ state site- Thanks to Ms. Michael's class!
- Fulllife.com-Programs for People with Potential
- MundoPato! Online autism courses for parents
- Oregon Autism Navigation Map
- Wellness Health and Pharmacy